“Smoke alarms are an essential life safety tool. Working smoke alarms significantly increase your chance of surviving a home fire. “A properly installed and maintained smoke alarm is the only thing in your home that can alert you and your family 24 hours a day, seven days a week.”
In addition to changing your smoke alarm batteries this weekend, the Mocanaqua Volunteer Fire Company recommends these simple steps to help protect the your family:
· Test smoke alarms monthly using the test button.
· Change smoke alarm batteries at least once a year.
· Replace smoke alarms if they are more than 10 years old or do not work properly when tested.
· Know your smoke alarm – some alarms utilize standard 9V batteries while others may be equipped with 10 year batteries. Alarms that utilize standard 9V batteries should be changed at least once a year.
· Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, both inside and outside of sleeping areas.
· Make sure everyone in your home recognizes the warning sound of the smoke alarm.
· Develop and practice a home escape plan and select one family meeting place to reduce confusion during an emergency.
The Mocanaqua Volunteer Fire Company recommends taking time this weekend as you check and change batteries, to review your home escape plan with your family. Practice your plan so that you and your loved ones can get out of your home safely should there be a fire.